Call Now - 815.338.9600

Name Change

How do I change my name?

The answer to this question depends on whether you are an adult or a child.

If you are an adult in the process of a divorce, you can have the name change entered as part of the divorce decree.  This will prevent the added expenses of a Petition for Name Change (filing fee, publication fee)

For a name change for an adult, you must file a Petition for name change with the court and publish your request for name change in the newspaper.  Once the request is published in the newspaper for three consecutive weeks, you will appear in court and the judge will determine whether the name change will be granted.  There are some reasons name change will not be granted, such as felony convictions or the name you have chosen.

If you are a parent that wishes to change the name of a child, the process is the same as for an adult.  However, if all parents of the child are notified of the proceedings, publication is not necessary.  This allows for all parents to have the opportunity to object to the name change.  The judge must find that the name change is in the best interest of the child.

The law firm of Michling Plaza & Associates, P.C. will assist you in smoothly navigating through the name change process.

For help with Name Change, please contact:

Contact Information
Michling Plaza & Associates PC
101 N. Throop Street
Woodstock, IL 60098
Tel: 815.338.9600
Fax: 815.337.3611 or 815.337.4005